Monday, July 28, 2008

New Blog Idea and Other new Stuff

So when I originally started this blog, not very long ago, I made it as a sort of vegan baking recipe site. Since entering the blogging world, I have been looking at tons of other blogs and have really been inspired by some, and one of my favourites is The Broccoli Hut. I love the meals and the way Chickpea journals them, with photos and information about ingredients, daily events, exercise, etc. I think this would be really good way for me to maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle, especially once I move out and go to university(I move out August 25th and start university September 2nd). I will be moving into a really nice and new basement suite really close to UBC-O with a room mate, so I will have a kitchen to cook in! Yay, no 1st year shoddy dorm rooms for me! Anyways, I thought it would be best to start journaling my meals and daily activities now to get into the habit before I move out.

I am, by definition, a Ovo-Pesco Vegan. Basically I am a vegan but I do eat eggs and seafood(mostly fish). However, I only eat brown organic free-run eggs(usually local), and fish that is not over fished/farmed or toxic. I don't eat any dairy or meat, but I have been known to eat organic free-run turkey. For protein I like fish, egg whites, edamame beans, bean protein, soy protein(in cereals), and turkey occasionally. I am not a fan yet of tofu, TVP, seitan, tempeh, nor do I even know what all these are exactly and I haven't really tried them. I hate cheese. I want to be more adventurous and try some good vegan fare that I haven't yet discovered. I love oatmeal. Accordingly in my blog, you will see lots of oatmeal, fruit, steamed veggies, eggs, fish, salads, beans, soups, stews, etc. I like things plain/bland a lot, so I can appreciate them for their own taste not mask them behind a ton of flavorings. I also find that if I don't eat something salty, I won't crave something sweet.

For me what works as a meal schedule is a good sized early breakfast, a midday snack, and a good protein filled lunch at around 2pm. I find I like to eat just 2 meals a day with a snack in between, I know this is odd and unconventional, but I just don't like eating to much later in the day because I feel I don't need to. If I do get hungry around 7pm then I will have some plain steamed veggies, or something healthy and low carb/cal like that. I am definitely a morning person, I don't need an alarm clock to get me up early, and I love breakfast. If I eat well, beginning in the morning and then do some mild exercise like yoga, bike ride, or some stretching I feel great. I like to have most of my daily carbs and sugar in the morning, I am trying not to eat any sugary stuff after noon. Eating well and only until I am just comfortable, not full, is a consistency I am striving for.
On Thursday, July 28th, I bought a brand new bike from Cyclepath! I have been wanting a bike for a while to ride to work, and basically anywhere I can go without a car. I really wanted to get one before university so I could ride there too! The bike is a Giant Cypress DX. It's a sort of mountain/road/comfort hybrid. It has slimmer tires, but still with tread. It is super comfortable and I have been riding it a lot. I rode it to work on Friday morning, I left at 6:10am from my house and arrived at work at 6:40 am, but I was not trying to go fast. Then on Sunday I biked to and from work, the way back was harder because it is more uphill, and it was also hot and muggy out, with more traffic. I have also been going on the Greenway but don't like it as much because it is too bumpy, and also a sort of weasel darted right in front of my tire!

On August 1st I will begin journaling, and photo journaling, my daily meals and exercise, plus anything else I want to add that might be interesting! I hope this helps to keep me grounded and lead a balanced, healthy lifestyle. In turn, hopefully others will benefit from reading my blog(if anyone does!) and improve their daily habits as well.

2 comments:

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danielle said...

If you blog it, the readers will come ;) I promise.

Best of luck with everything, I look forward to August 1st!

P.S. Nice ride!