Monday, August 4, 2008

Weird, Weird Day

Today I awoke at 7am with a bad stomach ache! Yikes, I rarely have stomach aches like this and I am quite the baby when I do. Anyways, I am still trying to figure out what it may have been. My best guess is that the pumpkin seeds on my salad were rancid. But it could have been the sunflower seeds also. The Natures Path cereal that has the flax in it (not the squares) doesn't expire for a while, but I thought that also may have been the culprit. Or it could have been the Bob's Red Mill muesli which had flax, nuts, and seeds in it, but I had just bought it and this was my first time using it. It says on the bag that it "keeps best either refrigerated or frozen", but it was just stored on the shelf at the store! A lot of Bob's Red Mill products say "keeps best refrigerated or frozen" but are always stored on the shelf at the store... Does this mean they only need to be refrigerated once opened/bought? So now I am scared of a number of items in my fridge and cupboard!

I have been debating going completely off of nuts and seeds for a while now, and this may just do the trick. I don't think my body agrees well with them anyways. Also, there is so much storage controversy over them, I never feel safe eating them! So I think this is it, I won't be eating anymore nuts, seeds, or nut/seed butters, obvs, for a while at least. I guess that brand new jaw of organic PB will just have to go to my Dad:(

So needless to say, I didn't really eat anything today, because I still feel weird. However, I did have an apple. I am drinking tons of water, because I know I am dehydrated and it is also about 35 degrees C outside. Thank goodness for A/C!

Tomorrow morning before work I think I will just have a plain spinach, blueberry, banana, and water smoothie, better play it safe. Hopefully I will feel back to normal by then though.

Eek! I just realized no nuts and seeds means no almond milk. I have just began using almond milk again, and although I am not going to be eating any seeds or nuts anymore, I think I will stay with the almond milk. I like Rice Dream, but the sugar content is 10g per cup vs. 0g in almond milk. Also the caloric content 40 Cal vs. 120 cal, is a huge plus. So I think I will continue to drink almond milk, unless I find that it makes me feel off, as I have found with other nuts/seeds. I will probably alternate with Rice Dream and Almond Milk, and see which one suits me best. I think I will switch from Blue Diamond Almond Milk to Almond Dream .
Almond dream does not use soy lecithin in their drink and also has 100% more Vit B12 than Blue Diamond (0% vs. 50%)

No comments: